Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a dog with Epilepsy and the Doctor has the 95# dog on

Customer Question

I have a dog with Epilepsy and the Doctor has the 95# ***** on 750 mg tablets of Levetiracetam 3 time daily and 100mg capsules of Zonisamide (5 capsules twice daily) I have no problem with this, but I was looking for a solution to the side effects of being drowsy and looking drugged all the time and falling down and being uncoordinated, and complete loss of appetite, ?? what can I do to counteract these side effects?
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Clovis, 5 year old Rottweiler
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clovis?
Customer: no otherwise he's healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Clovis. Is there a reason for dosing zonisamide at 500 mg/43 kg (95 lbs) twice daily which would be equivalent to 11.6 mg/kg twice daily? Most recommend an initial dosage of 5 mg/kg twice daily when used in conjunction with another anticonvulsive. Levetiracetam is being dosed at 750 mg/43 kg = 17.4 mg/kg thrice daily - a dose just under 20 mg/kg thrice daily and the most often recommended dose. When my patient's quality of life is so adversely affected, I have to lower current dosing levels or consider alternative drugs.