Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a can terrier 7+ yrs. And I have m on a diet using

Customer Question

I have a can terrier 7+ yrs. And I have him on a diet using HILLS SCIENCE DO FOOD. I've been adding can dog food like chicken & rice just a little and sometimes I give him cooked carrots now I noticed his bowels are soft what am I doing wrong his vet said he over weight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long have they been soft?

Any blood?

When was he last wormed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Since I've been given him the can food and sweet potato & carrots,chicken broth
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No blood last yr for wormed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if we have loose stools since you added in these new dietary options, its quite likely you did so too quickly for his good bacterial microflora that aids his gut's digestion. Of course, we could also see softening of the stool with worms, protozoal infections, bacterial and viral gut upsets.

With this all in mind, since he is otherwise well and this has come on after the new foods, we can start supportive care. To start, you will want to go back to the diet he was most comfortable with until his gut steadies. Once it has, you can add each back one at a time to make sure he can tolerate each and hasn't a gut sensitivity to any of these. That said, in the meantime, we'd want to make sure we are supporting the gut's good bacteria. To do so, I would suggest starting him on an OTC dog specific probiotic (ie Fortiflora). Or if he is very runny, you can use a Kaolin/probiotic combination product like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber. All of these are available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for these loose stools. If the started with the diet additions, those need to be removed and the above used. As well, if it has been a year (we tend to worm every 3 months), then that too would be a base to cover. And provided these are our culprits, the above should settle this. Of course, if it lingers, then we'd want a check up +/- stool sample tested to determine if any infectious issues are present and nip those in the bud for your wee one.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )