Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My puppy may have swallowed a pizzle stick, bully stick --

Customer Question

my puppy may have swallowed a pizzle stick, bully stick -- it was really skinny, approx. 4 inches long? I can't find it so I am thinking he swallowed it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if May will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about May?
Customer: he seems to be acting normally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm sorry to hear that your pup may swallowed a big chunk of a pizzle stick.

The good news is that these are digestible, although they do take more time and digestive juices than most things.
How concerned you need to be depends upon your puppy's size and his level of comfort.
If your puppy is a large breed dog if things seem to be well at this point I am less concerned. But if the chunk was big and if your little one is still very small then I would be a little worried.
If your pup appears to be fine then in this case we need to try and hope that we can get the stick to pass through the gastrointestinal tract. And that his stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.
For the next few days, until the pieces pass, you may want to feed a soft, bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded and don't get stuck, the gut isn't irritated and isn't contracting on just sharp chunks.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), depending upon his weight (bigger pup, more pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.
Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
After 3 to 4 days if he's still feeling well and passing normal stools then start mixing in his regular puppy food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take 5-7 days to get him converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't have further questions he is fine. I don't want to have a monthly account, your web site indicated a $5 deposit, and there is A charge for the answer. Then You get trapped into some monthly ongoing account? I don't want that. I don't want to subscribe
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

I'm glad to hear that he is fine.

I'm sorry I can't see the financial part, I just answer questions.

Let me forward this to customer service so that they can straighten this out for you.