Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 6 year old miniature schnauzer - he started

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old miniature schnauzer - he started vomiting last night, and some this am. He's not have any other issues. As of now, he's regurgitating fo***** ***** discharge and re - swallowing. I feel like if he gets it out, he's better...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Finn. He has been urinating ( this am ) and having normal bowel movements (last night) - I haven't feed him any thing today. He ate a little at dinner around 6pm last night, but not his usual amount.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finn?
Customer: He seems tired, but otherwise, himself.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am wondering what to try to feed him. He usually only eats 4health dog food, 1/2 scoop hard food plus a spoonful of soft food mixed in the the am, and 1/2 scoop hard in the evening. He rarely has snacks. His food hasn't changed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Finn. To answer you directly, I'd prefer that you didn't feed him for 24 hours after the last vomiting episode. In fact, oral drugs such as PeptoBismol and kaolin /pectin should be avoided as well. His water should be left down but if drinking induces more vomiting, ice cubes for him to lick should replace his water. A food change isn't necessary and may aggravate his GI distress. After his fast, I would offer his usual diet.

Vomiting is a non-specific symptom of illness. It's seen with simple dietary indiscretions - ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or a non-food item - as well as serious metabolic disorders involving major organs. We need to be particularly aware of pancreatitis in the miniature schnauzer breed and so if you didn't see a positive change over the next 24 hours, it would be prudent to have Finn's vet perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Those tests should include a specCPL blood test which is most sensitive for detecting the presence of pancreatitis.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.