Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My westie is 17 months old, male, s nose has turned a pink

Customer Question

my westie is 17 months old, male , his nose has turned a gray pink in the last few months, what could be the problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Clifford, there are quite a few causes of nasal depigmentation including contact dermatitis, autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex and discoid lupus erythematosus, and vitiligo. Take a close look at the depigmented areas and see if the normal cobble stone appearance of the nose has been lost; that would suggest autoimmune skin disease.

Can you upload a photo(s) of Buzzy's nose to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as