Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 14 yr dog is crying in pain,circling tyring to lay down

Customer Question

my 14 yr dog is crying in pain,circling tyring to lay down but keeps moving and crawling
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: rocky, he did get into the garbage and on top was fajita spicy sauce rocky is a cockapoo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocky?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been like this?

Does he seem tense, tender or painful when you press on his belly or back?

Is he circling as if he is trying to get to his back end? Any swellings or sores around his rectum?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any chance he has eaten something harmful? What was in the spicy sauce ingredient-wise?

Any gagging, retching, vomiting, or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
about 3hrs, when pressing belly he is in pain, gums are red,rear seems fine, not sure about back end, but he just can't get comfortable. No vomiting, no diarrhea, no retching. I used a fajita mix.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Can you confirm he didn't have anything else (especially not-edible) from the trash?

Are those gums normal colored for him?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is his normal gum color. I am not sure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now I have to say that his belly pain concerns me. Its possible this could be a severe gastroenteritis due to the spices in the mix, but we could also see this with gut blockages, gut twists (uncommon in this breed thankfully), stomach ulcers, or severe pancreatitis.

So, with him sounding to be in serious pain with this, it would be best to have him seen for injectable pain relief and of course a check at this stage. Though if there is any delay, we can try to soothe his stomach to see if we can get him more comfortable. Just to note, we cannot use OTC pain relief here since most are dog toxic and those that are not would not be safe for gut issues. In regards ***** ***** the stomach, we can at least try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, his signs do raise some serious concerns and if he is as sore as reported then we’d be best having him seen just now. Otherwise, any delay and we can at least try the above to counter gut upset from the spices . Though if he doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours or appears even more sore; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can determine which concern is present and start gut safe pain relief, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- symptomatic care to help settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I only have Nexium is that okay?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Apologies, I had to be away to see my own patient, but Nexium (Esomeprazole) can be used at a dose of 0.5mg per kilogram once daily to soothe stomach upset.

Please take care,

Dr. B.