Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 10 week little daschound puppy approximately 2 lbs

Customer Question

I have a 10 week little daschound puppy approximately 2 lbs ,I just got her and she is scratching herself crazy....I have spotted a couple of fleas.....What can I get for her she needs a prescription...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that if she is ~10 weeks, then you need only pop into her vets for them to weigh her (usually free to do so), so they can dispense a good quality flea treatment like Advantage Multi, Activyl, Revolution, Bravecto, etc. Otherwise, you can see if your local pet store carry Advantage II as an alternative option. That way we can nip this flea infestation in the bud before they can cause secondary skin infections or anemia.

Otherwise, if she is very itchy, you can choose to give her a very small dose of Children's Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (1mg for a 2lb dog). This can be used every 12 hours and just help soothe the allergic irritation that makes them itch from fleas. And I would finally note that if there is any delay in having her seen for those above flea treatments, you can use a nit comb and dish soap (to dunk the fleas and kill them) to remove as many fleas as possible until she can be started on one of the above protective options.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet