Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Yorkie seems like she is have a recurrance of

Customer Question

My Yorkie seems like she is have a recurrance of pancreatitis
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: About two weeks ago I took her to the vet and he said she had Pancreatitus and he gave me medicene for her stomache to keep her from having nashia (sp) . He said that it showed pancreatitius and gave me some medicine called metronidazole Liquid. There's not much left but I gave her the amt. about an hour ago. I do have some sucralfate in pill form
JA: Where does metronidazole seem to hurt?
Customer: She's not been eating the last couple of days - she doesn't like the food the vet had me give her so I have given her other, not real bad but chicken from KFC with the skin peeled off. She's had a very runny bowel, she's pooped like what looked red and no form to it.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. How old is metronidazole?
Customer: I can hear her tummy moving around. what is metronidazole? oh, I got it 6/29 says it good til 12/25
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about metronidazole?
Customer: I've only got one more dose
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Yorkie. Metronidazole is an antiinflammatory antibiotic. Pancreatitis is rarely associated with bacterial infection, however, and so any benefit from metronidazole would be minor and related to its antiinflammatory activity. The sucralfate is more important as it will coat a very irritated intestinal tract. Adding an antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) dosed at 0.25 mg/lb should be considered at this time as well.

I need to make you aware that her pooping "red with no form to it" is also a hallmark of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis in these miniature dogs. This is an umbrella term for both infectious and noninfectious causes of intestinal ulceration and can be life-threatening in these little dogs who can dehydrate and become electrolyte imbalanced rapidly. Having her vet attend to her at your earliest convenience should be considered if only to receive parenteral (in any manner other than oral) fluids and electrolyte replacement therapy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.