Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My dog ate a package with some accutane in it and may have

Customer Question

My dog ate a package with some accutane in it and may have ingested some. I'm not sure. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 11 months ago.

Given that this has a fairly wide margin of safety in toxicity studies, the main side effects to watch for would be GI (vomiting, diarrhea), anorexia or depression that resolve on their own, however this is dose dependent. Do you know how much he would have eaten or long ago it was? If it was fairly recently, you can give him 3-5 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide and make him vomit but this can be irritating to the stomach and esophagus so if this does not work he should be taken to an emergency vet to have an injection given. If it has been longer than 2 hours, then inducing vomiting may not be helpful. Depending on the amount he ate and his size, and whether or not he vomited, another thing that may be helpful is activated charcoal to absorb what he did not vomit or what has moved out of his stomach to his intestines.

If his dose was small and it has been a long time since he ingested it, you can feed a bland diet consisting of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!!). Feed this in a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and transition to his normal food if he has no problems in the next 2-3 days.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He just ingested it about 30 minutes ago. It was a package of pills but some were imissing and he ate through the package so I'm not sure how many. Anywhere from 0-3. He seems energetic and playful now but we are watching him to see if that changes. Should I give him the hydrogen peroxide now or wait to see if he has any reaction

What was the milligram strength of the capsules, do you know? How much does he weigh?

With that little amount it is unlikely that he ingested a toxic amount, I wouldn't induce vomiting at this point but you can feed him a bland diet as recommended above. If he begins to vomit, he should be seen by a vet for an injection of anti nausea medication.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

All the Best,

Dr. Elli

I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie