Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Hero is 16 years. He has started to pee when we are gone

Customer Question

Hero is 16 years. He has started to pee when we are gone something he has never done before. The questions is can we put him in a cage when we leave? He has never been caged in 16 years, he was a rescue dog.
I am against it husband of course for it.
Any help would be so appreciated.
Kathryn ***@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

HI there. I am sorry Hero is having trouble with urination. If you do it right, crate training can be performed at any age. The key is to make sure that it is a positive experience for him. Start with small time periods and give him treats or something that he loves to play with to keep him from being bored or feeling anxious. I dog loves a kong treat with peanut butter or liquid cheese in it. Frozen meat based baby food in a jar can also provide distraction for a while.

However, I would recommend having Hero checked out to make sure that there is not a medical issue. Sometimes when they are producing a lot of urine, a dog's bladder will fill up and they won't be able to hold it, thus causing accidents in the house. Is he drinking more water than he used to? Does he ask to go out more often than he used to when you are home? Have there been any other changes in appetite or activity level?

Hi Kathryn Schumann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hero. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie