Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have 3 yr old female chihuahua I was clipping et toenails

Customer Question

I have 3 yr old female chihuahua I was clipping et toenails and she twisted her upper body jumped off couch to get away from me Yelps when try to pick her up Pain seems to be under her armpits upper chest Shes breathing fine Wslks fine but can tell she's in pain moving , jumping of furniture or trying gently to pick her up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Evie 3 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Evie?
Customer: No otherwise no issues
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so very sorry to hear about your little one. My primary concern is an injury to the back back/ neck area from the fall. Often the symptoms you describe go with this even if moving the neck seems normal but I have had Chi's for 40+ years and can attest that this is an indicator of the lower neck is painful.

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!