Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience providing medical care for dogs

Can dogs have diarrhea as a vaccine reaction?

Customer Question

Hi. My dog, Zoey just got her last round of vaccines/shots 2 days ago and now she has had diarrhea 3 times this morning. Is this common?
She just had a health/wellness check 2 days ago along with her shots and vet said she is perfectly healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you with Zoe, today. As I understand, she was vaccinated 2 days ago and began with diarrhea this morning. Is that the only thing wrong. She's eating and OK otherwise? Do you remember what vaccines she was given? Is she on any medications for other problems?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she has been acting fine up until this morning. Just super down and had diarrhea 3 times this morning. She received her last round of shots in puppyhood which I believe included rabies
She also received the bordetella.

How old is Zoey?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She just turned 4 months.

So she had been seen several times and wormed, I assume? Any change in her diet?. Could she have gotten into garbage or something like that? Is she one to eat silly stuff? Sorry for all the questions but I want to be as accurate as I can for you, since I can't see or examine Zoey

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No change in diet, she has been eating the same food I fed her since I first got her. She hasn't gotten into garbage or anything. I'm just thinking it's a reaction from the shots and vaccines she was given on Monday, but I just wanted to be safe and check.
She is a chewer and does like to eat pretty much anything, but I haven't really seen her eat anything suspicious, but maybe she did when I wasn't looking.

A vaccine reaction is always possible, but young dogs commonly come down with diarrhea and many times we don't know the exact cause. As long as she seems to be doing fine and eating/ drinking normally I would recommend a 12 hour fast, but offer water. Then I would start a bland diet of a protein like boiled chicken/hamburger(get's the grease out) and cooked potato or rice. 1 part protein to 3 parts starch. you could add hard cooked egg if you want. 3-4 small feedings a day for a couple days.

We want to watch for signs that she ate something silly, or the diarrhea is a sign of another problem. If she becomes lethargic seems to be straining to poop or tries to vomit then it's time to call your vet. Better safe than sorry. How much does Zoey weigh, do you think?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I shouldn't feed her dinner tonight? But she weighs about 30 pounds now.
She does seem lethargic. She doesn't have much energy.

Fast her until tonight then small feedings a few times. If the diarrhea persists you could give her one half of an Immodium AD (generic is loperamide) tablet (which are 2 mg tablets) every 8- 12 hours for a few doses. This is an over the counter anti-diarrheal you can get at any pharmacy. If you have any doubt that she has more than just a case of diarrhea, call your Vet and see if he wants to examine her. Even though she is vaccinated, there are things out there that could make her ill. As I said, better safe than sorry.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay thanks for your help!