Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 14 year old and 14 pound yorkie - we she's mix

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old and 14 pound yorkie - we she's mix breed but I don't know what other terrier she is. About 2-3 months ago she was bitten by another dog and her eye socket bone broke. She was under the care of a vet the entire time and although the bone never fused back together today is is fine! However over the last couple of weeks she has had diarrehea and shes pooping everyday in the house. It looks a little dark bit she eats any little thing she sees on the floor, in the grass, etc...I do not have the money to put her on fluids and for xrays as this is what my local vets tells me. I believe she has a very bad upset stomach. Is there anything I can do at home to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog has loose stools and has been through so much!

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite. It may just require the fecal evaluation to determine if antibiotics are warranted and a hospital stay is very likely unnecessary unless there is an underlying medical cause

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!