How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18929
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate candies. Should I take him to a vet?

Customer Question

We just got home and Jack ate like 7 pieces of see’s candy chocolate. It’s a small Beagle. Is it necessary to take him to the vet?
He is 9 years old and weighs 25 lbs.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.


1. Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Jack very much, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. He should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. I say this because :

2. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 25 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 17.5 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. There is no way that 7 pieces of Sees candy chocolate is going to weigh anywhere near that amount and in any case they are not pure chocolate they have fillings.

4. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

5. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if the very unlikely event that Jack's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.


Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Awesome! Thank you!
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...


Dr Scott