jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

Why dog can't open its mouth,? My dog can't open its mouth,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: Why dog can't open its mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: My dog can't open its mouth
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It doesn't
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Absolutely nothing physically.
JA: Is your dog eating normally?
Customer: No.
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Baby and she's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?
Customer: Maltese Shih tzu
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 3 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. When a dog can’t open its mouth, this is called Trismus. It can be caused by various problems including an abscess behind the eye caused by an injury to the inside of the mouth, jaw dislocation or extreme arthritis, Polymyositis (muscle inflammation), Craniomandibular osteopathy (jaw bone growth causing abnormality), or masticatory Myositis. Over time, this can give a dog a thin face look.

To determine the cause, your vet will probably need anesthesia to check for a tooth or gum problem as well as an x-ray to check the bone growths. Bloodwork may also be required. You can read more about this and masticatory myositis here:

i would have Baby seen as soon as possible to determine the cause. In addition, to prevent low blood sugar with her not eating, put a little dab of karo syrup or pancake syrup on her gums. Low blood sugar can lead to seizures and even death, so you want to ensure that she doesn't become hypoglycemic as a result of not eating. Do this about every 4 hours or so until you can have her seen.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

Just writing to see how Baby is doing? What did the vet end up determing was the issue? I hope you found my answer helpful.