Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She ate a terro ant bait. She chewed it pretty good and the

Customer Question

She ate a terro ant bait. She chewed it pretty good and the main ingredient is borax.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lilly 11 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?
Customer: she had meningitis when she was 5 months, but it was treated with prednisone and she's been fine. She has a bad stomach, frequent diarrhea.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok where will you reply? here? or text or email?

Just typing out your answer now, you will be able to read it here in a few minutes.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What's the verdict doc?

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! : The chances are that this will not cause Lilly any great problem. In my experience the worst than can happen would be a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea and even that may not happen and in any case should soon pass if it does. Ant poisons are generally pretty weak toxins to dogs so we rarely see problems if they eat some of it, and this brand Terro ant bait {Borax } is a particularly safe product for dogs. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog.

2. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lilly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lilly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ant bait ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She turned out fine. Thank you for your help. Alls good.

Great news! Thanks so much for the update, I was wondering how things were going ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Of course I am very glad to have advised you and even more glad that your dog has been unaffected by her experience. However I wonder if you could possible do me a favour and rate my service to you on the site? This really helps my standing in the Just Answer community.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott