Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is 15 pounds. she just ate ONE piece of gum that had

Customer Question

my dog is 15 pounds. she just ate ONE piece of gum that had already been chewed up and spit back out. We are bankrupt so I dpn't want to take her to the vet unless I absolutely have to.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?
Customer: She ate it 20-30 mins ago. Should I give her some hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

We only become concerned if the gum contained xylitol. Was it a "sugar free" gum? If so, do you have the ingredient list to see if xylitol is on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sir. It is Trident sugar free gum. She only ate ONE piece and it had already been chewed up by my son.

Thank you. ***** sugar free gums contain a very low amount of xylitol - around 170 mg/piece. It takes a dose of at least 35 mg/lb of xylitol to intoxicate a dog. That would be equivalent to 240 mg of xylitol for Molly. Even if it hadn't been chewed, Molly would have remained safe. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Give Molly a kiss for me.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for being honest with me and for your information. I really appreciate it. A LOT!!!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.