Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Our puppy has been doing extensive panting at times and we

Customer Question

Hello Pearl, our puppy has been doing extensive panting at times and we and our vet have been unable to determine the acuase
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: the cause*
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: She does not seem to hurt anywhere. She runs and plays full bore yet after a minute to two of just sitting idle she will pant extensively up to 240 breaths per minute.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Zoe
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoe?
Customer: She has had chest Xrays to check her lungs and heart and both came back perfect, as well as blood work and urine testing which also came back clear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. I can help you with this today.

Panting is a way that dogs cool themselves off when they are hot and it can also be a sign of pain, anxiety or a signal of an endocrine problem or increased due to certain medication in addition to signaling respiratory problems.

Some breeds may be more prone to panting than others based on anatomy as well. What kind of puppy is she and how old is she?

I swear sometimes my dog pants when he is bored. As long as she is not in distress, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It sounds like she has been thoroughly checked out and has passed with flying colors. If there is no cause that can be identified, then I would just continue to monitor her. She may be more likely to pant under stressful conditions (i.e. when company comes over, during a vet or grooming visit, etc.).

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition further please feel free to let me know.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Dr. Ellie,Our puppy is one year old. We started noticing around 6months she had a strange panting habit and have been actively working with our vet to figure out the cause. She is a Golden Retriever / Australian Cattle Dog mix.So far we have had chest Xrays done - these came back good for the throat, lungs, and heart. Blood work was done and came back normal. First urine sample came back with alpha hemolytic streptococcus, which we treated for 3 weeks and came back clear after the antibiotic treatment and another urine culture.As for her panting, she can pant for up to 240 times a minute when inside. When she gets in these fits she just stands there, or lays there until she settles down. When shes outside sniffing the grass or panting, she may have what sounds like a build up of saliva or mucus draining from her nose. Its a very wet pant. When she gets the wet panting on our walks outside she usually starts slowing down, I have not yet determined but I feel the wet panting was more prominent during the spring/summer when its more humid.

If there seems to be a worsening during certain times of the year or in different environments, you may consider a trial of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) to see if there is an allergic component. Since there is not evidence of anatomic issue or medical issue with the lungs, it may be that she is panting to help move air through a thicker than normal mucus secretion.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For trying the Benadryl, what dosage should we try and are there any side affects that may occur? She weighs about 65lbs.

Benadryl is dosed at 1-2 mg per kg. You can round up or down to the next capsule or tablet size. The biggest side effect is sleepiness and sedation.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie