Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I thought I did. Please send form again to my phone ..dark

Customer Question

I thought I did. Please send form again to my phone ..dark spot on neck
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 7 months ago.

YES!! I just got it. must have been slow to upload to the site. Sorry about that. Im looking at it now....

Hi there, I am sorry there seems to be a mix up, I am missing the top of your conversation with your question but here is what I think of the picture you sent.

The spot looks like an area of self trauma commonly called a "hot spot". It is usually caused by self trauma following minor irritation- allergies, fleas, etc. We used to prescribe antibiotics for them but with the overuse of antibiotics and the development of resistant infections, I am hesitant to prescribe them unless there is not healing or involves a significant area of the skin.

I recommend placing an e.collar on him ("cone of shame") to prevent him from scratching at it further and making it worse. These tend to be self perpetuating because its itch so they scratch and that causes more inflammation which is itchy....on and on and on, worsening the damage to the skin. You can clean the area with warm water and a soft cloth to get all of the dry discharge off the fur around it but I generally do not recommend picking the scab as this will delay healing. The scab is acting like a bandaid and the skin is healing underneath. If some scab softens up and comes off with gentle cleaning, this is ok.

The lesion should begin to heal up with in the next 5-7 days and should be gone within about 14 days. If it looks worse in this time, or he is showing any other cause for concern, I recommend having it evaluated by your veterinarian to make sure it is healing appropriately and does not need additional treatment

Initially your conversation did not show up on my list so I did not realize you were waiting for a response. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you and appreciate your patience.

Since these can be associated with food or environmental allergies, I recommend evaluation by a veterinary dermatologist or discussing the possibility of testing/treating for allergies with your family veterinarian if this becomes a recurrent problem.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition further please feel free to let me know.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie