Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

8 week puppy ate 2 small pieces of a plastic bowl - 1/2" x

Customer Question

hi there, 8 week puppy ate 2 small pieces of a plastic bowl - 1/2" x 1/4" in size, thin and a little sharp. He's been eating and acting fine, no vomiting. should i bring him in to the animal hospital for an xray?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Wesley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wesley?
Customer: 15 pound 8 week golden retriever puppy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

Depending on the size of your puppy, these may pass or may cause problems requiring surgery in the next 2-3 days.

Sometimes when dogs have ingested things they shouldn't, we usually make them vomit. The danger in making a dog vomit if they've eaten anything sharp is that it may cause lactation of the esophagus on the way up. Since there is always a chance that it can be a problem if not removed, you may want to take him to your vet and have them make him vomit. Hydrogen peroxide can be irritating and cause stomach problems so since he has ingested a potentially sharp object, I recommend giving him an injection instead. To help avoid problems on the way up, I always feed some canned food before making dogs vomit if I am worried about sharp things coming up (but its still a risk).

If you elect not to make him vomit, then the best thing to do is to feed him a high fiber diet to help him pass the plastic. You can add metamucil to his food (1/4-1/2 tsp depending on his size) and feed him a bland diet consisting of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!!). Feed this in a 2:1 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and then transition him back to his regular food if there are no issues in 2-3 days.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition further please feel free to let me know.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is a picture of the plastic. Is that too large to pass without issue?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello?

I just receivedyour reply and I'm looking at the picture now.

Thank you for the picture and putting in the coin for measurement!! That is very helpful. I can't say for sure if the piece will pass without incident or not but dogs his size can generally pass things the size of a quarter. I recommend bulking up his diet with fiber for the next 2-3 days and feeding the bland diet as I described earlier. Monitor him closely for vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea or lethargy. If you notice any of these he should be seen right away. Plastic does not usually show up on radiographs but we can look for an obstructive pattern of intestinal gas on X-rays or an area of decreased motility and dilated intestines on ultrasound. Blood work can also help evaluate him for infection or inflammation, anemia or other signs of a serious complication.

Feel free to keep me updated and let me know if you have any further questions for me.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Ellie

Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Ellie

I noticed that you have not yet posted an update or accepted the answer I gave. How is your puppy doing? Did he pass the plastic? Did you end up taking him in to a vet?

If you have further questions and want to discuss your dog’s issue in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie