How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28526
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My (24 lbs) ate about a quarter of cup of semi-sweet

Customer Question

my king charles(24 lbs) ate about a quarter of cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, she seems ok. Is she ok?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the chocolate?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1. I'm not really sure. I think within last 4 hrs, but could have been within during the night...
2. Yes
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

1- Is she showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not really.. was about to take her for walk
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not sure my answers r getting to you
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. In this case, if she ate 1/4 of a cup (1.5 oz) of semi-sweet chocolate at her weight she can experience gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, etc. I don't believe this will be fatal for her. If you are not certain of the time of ingestion I would try to induce vomiting just in case if she ate it within the last 2 hours. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter