Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

He sits on s haunches and scratches mself and now he yips,

Customer Question

He sits on his haunches and scratches himself and now he yips
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: L'il Bear and he is 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lail Bear?
Customer: He had his hip broken 3 yrs ago by a car
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry that Lil Bear is not feeling well. At his age, he probably has arthritis in his hips especially because of his accident. This scratching could also be due to flea allergy so there are things we can do to make Lil Bear more comfortable.

1. Give Lil Bear a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin, available at the pet store, which will add lubrication to his joints and decrease pain.

2. Give Lil Bear Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7-10 days. This will stop any allergic reaction that may be making Lil Bear uncomfortable.

3. Give Lil Bear aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7 days and then give this whenever he has bad days. This will decrease his pain form the arthritis. All of these can be given together.

It is best to have your vet examine Lil Bear since he is older and we may miss something especially if there is no improvement.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta