Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 11 yr old female pit is having labored breathing. She's

Customer Question

My 11 yr old female pit is having labored breathing. She's on my bed as always and she is asleep just breathing real hard
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is*****!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paris Hilton?
Customer: She had cancer surgery 5 months ago, was x-rayed a ! month later and had no signs of cancer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I sent the 19 dollar pay pal payment so I really hope I haven't just been scammed.. I played it with PayPal I mean...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she had these signs?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

What cancer was she diagnosed with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My husband noticed her breathing like this a few days ago at night and then tonight I really see and hear it. She had a lump on a breast and he also removed her thyroid gland. Both were malignant. He got it all and she was checked a month later and there were no signs of cancer in her body. I'm taking her back in a few weeks for another check. She's been drinking a lot of water and lately in the last few days has to go outside several times at nite to peepee
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's on vacation right now but I'm going to take her in in the am anyway because I'm worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Since it is very important (as I cannot see her), can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Is she passing large or small volumes of urine when she goes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She takes a breath like 1 every second. Her gums are dark pink and she pees pretty quick and it's at nite so I don't know how much
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Shes just started barking at the back door having to go outside to pee within the last week. She sleeps with us so I get up and let her out then she runs back in and gets up on the bed
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been 3_4 times a nite
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not tonight though
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, if she is breathing about a breath a second, that is twice the normal resting breathing rate. We can see this with discomfort (if she is passing small volumes of urine due to a bladder infection) but also with lung compromise secondary to her cancer having spread. And I have to warn you that while its great she hadn't any visible spread a month later, we still have to be concerned about spread since it is possible that there was already microscopic spread (not visible on the xray) at that point.

Therefore, since she is showing such a dramatic increase in breathing rate, we'd want her seen as soon as possible for a general exam (so we can rule out discomfort sources like her bladder and make sure there are no other reasons for her increased thirst/urination at the same time) but also to get that chest rechecked and make sure there has been no change. If that gum color is normal for her, then you can wait until a local vet is open for regular hours. BUT if this is a deviation from her normal pink, we'd want her seen sooner for an exam and xray. So, discomfort and oxygen compromise are our biggest concerns for her breathing here, so we do need to tread wit care and have her seen sooner then a few weeks even if it means seeing a different vet.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ or

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?