Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu. He has diabetes and is on 12

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu. He has diabetes and is on 12 units of insulin twice a day. He is blind. He is panting so hard that it is frightening me. He has plenty of water and the temperature in the house is about 72. Is there anything I can do for him? Why is he panting so heavily?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Is he a stable diabetic on that insulin dose?

Does his breath smell sweet or fruity?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?