Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience providing medical care for dogs

She has been lethargic, vomitng, we have been giving her

Customer Question

She has been lethargic, vomitng, we have been giving her water, but she has started having bloody diarrhea and we are 120 miles from a town and there is no 24 hr clinic. We have an appt with a vet tomorrow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She can't stand on her back legs and we use a wheelchair for her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you out tonight. You indicated your dog (name?) uses a wheeled cart. How old is she? Does she have other medical problems? When did this start? She has blood in her stool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 12. No other problems. She stopped being interested in food 2 days ago, with mild vomiting. No interest in food or water. Just started with bloody diarrhea about 2 hrs ago. She starts barking and then releases fluids from her rectum

Thanks for that. Is she still vomiting? Is she interested in food?

Any chance she got into something toxic...possibly mouse poison? Does she tend to chew things up?

Are her vaccines up to date? Is she on heartworm preventive?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No she didn't get into anything. No interest in food
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She's due for rabies, no heartworm medication

I wish I could see/examine her to better guide you. The fact she started with vomiting the progressed to bloody diarrhea, without having chewed up something or got into a toxin, makes me think of a disorder called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, known commonly as HGE. This is a serious problem, if it is in fact HGE. Even if this is something different causing bloody diarrhea, it is still a serious problem. You should have her seen by your Vet as soon as possible. They need to stop the diarrhea and blood, possibly treat her for dehydration too. If her vaccines for Distemper/Parvovirus are overdue, this could be parvovirus...very serious as well and require a Vet hospital to treat.

No reply in almost an hour makes me think you are offline. I am happy to answer any further questions you have when you return. Dr. Gregg.

If there are no further questions, good luck with your dog. Dr. Gregg

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We have been busy with her. We hVean appt in the .morning,
If she makes it through tonight

Good luck