Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My golden doodle 8 weeks puppy has little very little over

Customer Question

My golden doodle 8 weeks puppy has little very little over the last 2 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
has eaten little. We brought him home on Saturday. He a couple of handfuls of his dried feed on Sunday and about 1/3 of a cup of food today. Is this normal? Should we worry?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he has been drinking water and did 2 normal poops today (good consistency). He appears playful and we took him our to the pet store.
Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I Am glad to hear that your puppy has had normal bowel movements and his drinking and energetic. Some dogs can have a decreased appetite due to the stress of the changes in their lives, but we do worry in young puppies if they are going for long periods without eating much.

I would consider soaking the kibble you are feeding in water or low sodium chicken broth to soften it and see if that makes it more appealing to him. You may also consider picking up some canned puppy food and mixing small amounts of this in with the food.

If he continues to eat very little, or if he develops vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or his belly becomes painful, then these would all be reasons to seek veterinary care. You can also take his temperature at home to be sure that is normal if you have a digital thermometer, it can be inserted rectally one to two inches with some vaseline or ky jelly or other lubricant. A dog's normal temperature is between 100 and 102.5. If his temperature is 103 or greater, I would seek veterinary care as well.

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if I didn't answer anything to your satisfaction! If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question, and can know that you do not have anything else I need to answer. Thank you and best of luck!!!

Expert:  Jess K replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay