Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience providing medical care for dogs
64354720

We think our 50 lb. Carolina Dog stole two baby back ribs.

Customer Question

We think our 50 lb. Carolina Dog stole two baby back ribs. Can she pass them or should we be rushing to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you tonight

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have the question or do I need to repeat?

She got into some ribs, huh. Gotta watch them every minute. There are a number of variables here. If she chewed them up into small enough pieces she MIGHT be able to pass them. If they were swallowed in big pieces there is more of a likelyhood they could cause obstruction or perforation of the GI tract. There is not a lot that can be done, right now. You don't want to induce vomiting with potentially sharp bone fragments in the stomach, that would make things worse

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what should we do?

Quite honestly, the longer the bones sit in the stomach, where the stomach acid can work on them, the softer they will get. She could be just fine, but you need to watch for signs that there is a blockage or perforation of the stomach or intestines. Persistent vomiting, straining to defecate with no stool produced, or stool with blood in it. General depression or lack of appetite could also cause concern. I would with hold food for now but offer water. If she gets through the night without any problems I would have your Vet get an x-ray to see exactly is going on. I'm not saying things will be ok, but I would not panic right now. Just be observant for signs of problems

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
X-ray sound good. She will often go with out eating for a day.

Every case is different, but on a personal note, my Bassett Hound ate an entire turkey carcass after one thanksgiving and was just fine. Never even got the hiccups

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, will keep close eye on her and probably opt for the x-ray tomorrow.Thanks

I hope that your dog...what's her name?...is ok and you can get an x-ray done tomorrow and hopefully show she will be ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Fingers crossed, her name is Penny.

You are most welcome. If you would accept my answer and rate me for the website I would appreciate it. Good luck with Penny. Dr. Gregg

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gregg