Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My vet has diagmosed my lab (1yr old) with two elbow

Customer Question

my vet has diagmosed my young lab (1yr old) with two elbow hematoma's. She has a med to large lump on her right front elbow and a smaller one on her left front leg. It was diagnosed about two months ago but still I'm worried. She acts fine and in no pain at all but I'm worried they have not changed o gone away or gotten smaller. I'm worried that they will have to be removed and I hate the thought of it. What shall I do or can you reasssure me somehow that it will be ok????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Just to confirm are these hygroma's or hematoma's? Hygromas are very common in dogs of larger size that lay on harder surfaces of the elbow whereas hematoma's are blood filled masses not typically found on the elbows?

Typically hygromas do resolve on their own if you keep them from laying on the harder surfaces and keep them lean. There is also a bandage that you can purchase to provide additional relief and hopefully speed up the process. CLICK HERE for a link to this product which allows normal activity but protects the elbows

Unfortunately just as with us using our hands a lot this does take time to develop a callus and resolve but in some dogs they are a longterm issue and do need removal. My hope is that the dog leggs will allow the healing to occur and speed up the resolution of these lesions o the elbows and surgery can be avoided...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes this evening

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!