Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My terrier is 1 and a half years old. He is perfectly

Customer Question

My ***** ***** terrier is 1 and a half years old. He is perfectly healthy. is taken to the vet on a regular basis and has all his shots. We have 2 other small dogs in the house. Our JRT has begun to tremble quite frequently. It does'nt seem to bother him , but it makes my husband and I concerned. The other 2 dogs are females. HELP!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sarge. In an otherwise normal dog, such trembling (tremoring) might indicate the idiopathic (unknown cause) tremor syndrome - a brain disorder that causes spontaneous generalized tremors and is responsivbe to immunosuppressive doses of corticosteroids. The majority of these dogs are less than 5 years of age and of small breeds (less than 33 lbs). Caretakers typically notice an acute onset of a fine, whole-body tremor that often worsens with exercise, stress, and excitement and lessens with rest or sleep. The course of the disease is nonprogressive. A clinical diagnosis is reached based on signalment (Sarge's vet and I would very much like to see a video of Sarge's behavior.), history, and clinical signs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.