Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 7 month old puppy has been shaking and getting as close

Customer Question

Hi - my 7 month old puppy has been shaking and getting as close to us a possible as if she is afraid on and off since yesterday. There were bad storms yesterday though not that close to us, but today the storms have moved away but the behavior stayed. It's not constant. It doesn't last very long - maybe 20 minutes - and has happened 4-5 times total. She is up to date on shots etc.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In most cases, the sound of the thunder causes most of the symptoms of anxiety, but many dogs will start getting anxious with just the drop in barometric pressure before or after the storm. Is it possible that there is still another storm headed your way. If she is acting normal otherwise (i.e.; eating, drinking, no vomiting, no diarrhea, no painful areas), that is probably all it is. I would make sure there is nothing else new going on inside or outside the house as well that may cause her some anxiety; loud noises or not. It may help to see if your vet can prescribe something for anxiety for her. There isn't much you can give OTC at home for that. Benadryl sometimes helps to just make them more tired, and it is typically safe for most dogs (always ask your vet first to make sure it is not contraindicated for her). Dog Appeasing Phermone (DAP) collars may also help with some dogs to relieve anxiety as well. My dogs did very well with the Thundershirts that you can find at most major pet stores. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.