Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience providing medical care for dogs
64354720

He is running around like he is scared of something sniffing

Customer Question

He is running around like he is scared of something sniffing for something and shaking a little bit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gizmo 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: well he was rubbing his anal glands against the rug as well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Greg and I will try to help you with Gizmo today

Sorry Gizmo is having problems. Has he had anal gland problems in the past? Has he ever had infected anal glands?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I usually get them cleaned or expresses when I getvhis haircut which was 2 weeks ago but he rubbed his anal against the rug and later on start acting strange. It happened last night and still the same this morning he didnt even focus on going to the bathroom

We see a lot of dogs, with blocked or infected anal glands seem distressed and act like something has bitten them near the back end. Scooting on the ground or looking back at/chewing their rear end. It sounds like that's what is happening, although hard to be sure without the ability to see and examine Gizmo

If this is the case I would have your vet take a look. Sometimes a blocked anal gland will get infected and require cleaning or flushing out and antibiotic,cortisone medication being infused into the gland to treat infection and discomfort

A blocked or infected anal gland can result in an abcess forming which will need surgical drainage and can be very uncomfortable. I hope that helps. If you have further questions I am happy to answer them. If not I would appreciate it if you would accept my answer and rate me for the website. Good luck With Gizmo, I hope he feels better soon. Dr. Gregg

If Gizmo has frequent anal sac problems you can help him out by bulking up his stool so they more effectly squeeze the anal sacs when he passes stool. A teaspoon of canned pumpkin in his food will help do that. I have taught some of my clients to empty their dogs anal glands themselves ( need to be a little brave). Talk to your Vet about it. Good luck

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gregg