Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12yr old shitz-zu male has a golf ball sized sist on the

Customer Question

My 12yr old shitz-zu male has a golf ball sized sist on the back of his neck that now has broke open and is oozing a blood and puss-like mixture but does not seem to be receding one bit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It is not uncommon for these cysts to get infected and rupture like this. The problem is that they have a hard time healing. The first thing I would do is to see if your vet can get him started on antibiotics. Topical therapy won't do much for this. In many cases, these cysts tend to stay chronically infected, so surgical removal is usually the best option. I prefer to get them started on antibiotics first, though, to clear the infection as much as possible before surgically removing it, or you may risk an infection at the surgical site. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Sorry. Did not mean to opt out of this question. It was another one.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the confusion. Please let me know if you have further concerns.