How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14883
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My puppy had a liquid advil in her mouth i was able to get

Customer Question

my puppy had a liquid advil in her mouth i was able to get it out but in think she got some liquid out it that very dangerous
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your puppy?
Customer: she seems fine
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: my puppy had a liquid advil in her mouth i was able to get it out but in think she got some liquid out it that very dangerous
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your puppy eating normally?
Customer: yes she ate and seems ok it happened over an hour ago
JA: OK. No appetite problems. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: amber
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amber?
Customer: she is about 7 pounds
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your puppy got ahold of some liquid Advil (active ingredient Ibuprofen) and I understand that you are concerned. This human fever and pain reliever can be toxic for dogs, but they do need to ingest a certain amount per pound of body weight to see symptoms. I see she is about 7 pounds but I have some questions for you to try to determine whether she ate enough to cause signs of toxicity.

  1. What was the concentration of the liquid she had in her mouth?
  2. Is she taking any medications right now?
  3. Is she otherwise healthy?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
325 mg
she takes no med
she is healthy
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
18 July 2016 10:09
325 mg
she takes no med
she is healthy
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

At 7 pounds she is about 3.2kgs. (7lbs/2.2 lbs per kg = 3.2kgs)

If she was chewing on the 325mg size and she ingested the entire capsule contents (although I know she didn't) she would have ingested about 101mgs per kilogram of body weight (325/3.2kg = 101mg/kg) which is a toxic amount.

From the ASPCA database:

◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;

◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;

◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;

◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death.

For a pup her size anything more than 80mgs is considered toxic. (3.2kgs X 25mgs/kg = 80mgs). So if you believe she may have ingested 1/4 of the contents or more that would be a toxic amount which would cause signs of stomach upset and possible ulcers in a pup her size. But should not cause kidney failure.

At home now to try and decrease acid production in her stomach and lessen any possible symptoms you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They should be given daily for the next 10-14 days as a precaution.

If her stomach seems at all upset to decrease the symptoms you can feed her a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.

Things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination.

Your other option if you want to be safe is to have her seen at a veterinary clinic and treated with fluids and injectable medications.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.