PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a 5 year old pug. He is eating fine and pooping fine

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a 5 year old pug. He is eating fine and pooping fine but just wants to sit. He looks uncomfortable. Help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name?
Customer: Kirby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kirby?
Customer: No. Very healthy and active.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Kirby still active, wanting to run and play?
2) Any history of injury?
3) Is he still willing to climb stairs? jump on furniture?
4) Is he on any medication at this time?
5) Any pertinent medical history to share?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi there!!! Reluctantly jumped on furniture. Took a walk last night. Not playful. Ears back and even wanted to sit in back yard.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No medical issues.

It's very possible at 5 years of age that he may be dealing with tenderness in his feet or even some tenderness in his back. This would be more highly suspect in a dog that was being walked in temperatures over 90 degrees as they're prone to having sensitive pads from the high temperatures of the surfaces being walked on (even off to the side of a sidewalk).

If he does not greatly improve with rest, I would urge you to see your veterinarian for a full evaluation to determine where he might be sore and the cause. Muscle spasms can also cause similar issues which are fairly common in pugs and similar breeds. He may need a few days of NSAIDs and pain meds, along with cage rest, to get him back to feeling like himself. In the interim, make sure that he's not jumping on to or off of any surfaces like furniture, porch steps, etc. which may exacerbate the symptoms.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I read something about anal glands? Could that be it?

It's very possible, but most dogs will scoot their bottom when anal glands are bothering them. Not just sit and refuse to be active.