Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog got into s rimadyl medication 50 pills were gone. All

Customer Question

My dog got into his rimadyl medication 50 pills were gone. All I've noticed is black tar feces no other signs of an overdose it's been two full days what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How many milligrams were the pills?

3- How long since you gave the peroxide?

Friend, if you are seeing black tar feces this is a sign of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract which could be the early sign of rimadyl toxicity. Then, depending on the amount ingested the patient could go into kidney failure. I would strongly recommend having your dog seen by nearest veterinarian to start him on supportive care (IV fluids, GI protectants, etc.). The patient will have a better prognosis if treated early before symptoms associated with kidney failure develop. In the meantime start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give things like Pepto Bismol.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.