PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He seems to have a toothache, Jax he is 8 1/2, 6 lb

Customer Question

He seems to have a toothache
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jax he is 8 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?
Customer: 6 lb chihuahua
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What are Jax's symptoms?
2) When was the last time his teeth were cleaned?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have never been cleaned. He was acting like he was in pain and when I tried to look in his mouth he jerked away and yelped. He's very clingy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He ate wet food for me

If he's never had a teeth cleaning, you may very well be right that he does, indeed, have a tooth ache. Most chihuahuas need a dental cleaning and necessary extractions about every 2-3 years once they reach about 5 years of age. Sometimes they need it more often. If he's 8 and has never had a cleaning, I would schedule an exam for him with your vet to determine the cause of the issues.

In the meanwhile, keep feeding canned food and you can give him aspirin, in a pinch, if you feel like he's painful. The dosing calculator is here:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I give hi liquid baby Tylenol or is aspirin better

Tylenol is toxic to dogs. Aspirin is more ideal, so please use the calculator attached.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I give him chewable and crush it up? I don't see anything that says buffered

As long is the milligram is correct, you can slip it into a piece of food without issue. Chances are you're going to wind up giving part of a baby aspirin because he's so small.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?