Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

We had a female Rottweiler and she would pant almost

Customer Question

We had a female Rottweiler and she would pant almost continuously.
Then one night she started to bleed through her nose and it was coming out of her mouth also.
Then it stopped.
We called our Vet and he thought it might be a broken vessel and gave her Valium to calm her down.
Then about a week later she started bleeding profusely and we took her to the Vet.
They could not do anything at the time and was told to take her to the Emergency Clinic.
We received a phone call at 2331 that night and was told that she was resting and that they found Cancer in her right lower leg.
They had her on sedatives and she might have 6 months to live.
If anything was to happen that night they were told to put her on CPR and to call me. Next morning we were about to leave and received a call that Bella's heart had stopped and was put on CPR.
They said that her heart stopped when they were talking out the IV's.
Question: Why would her nose start and then stop bleeding when she was calm?
Question: Why would her heart stop when the IV's were removed?
Question: IF it was Cancer in her leg, discovered when a Radiograph was taken, how else can it be detected?
Any information would greatly be appreciated.
Steve Breza
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today

I am so very sorry for your loss, I cannot imagine how challenging this entire situation must be and wish we could give you answers to why things progressed as they did. I can certainly speculate and have heard this several times before with other pets

The nose bleeding would be an inclination that there was likely cancer in the turbinates of the nose or there was fluctuations in the blood pressure causing ebbing and flowing of bleeding of the nose

There are limited ways to get this diagnosis when a dog is not limping nor showing any symptoms of cancer. I too had a dog with cancer that went undetected and I had just taken x-rays 6 weeks prior to her acute collapse. I wish there were proactive ways to detect these cancers but besides doing nuclear scintigraphy on a regular basis on a dog > 8 years old it simply isn't realistic to know when/ if this is going to occur

As to why the heart stopped with the catheter removal, it might be coincidental, the stress of the handling for the catheter removal (which is typically minimal with a good dog), or the catheter dislodged a clot we may never know but it does occur when a pet sees an owner at the er (this happened to me and my dog passed this way) or taking out to go potty or even removal of the catheter can be unrelated. She may have even been asleep in her kennel when this happened as well in some cases

I don't know if it gives you any solace and truly do understand your wanting answers. I have done every test on my senior pets when they are healthy and yet still there are situations we simply cannot control or prevent even if we took great efforts.

Please let me know how else I can assist you today...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman