Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She's breathing very rapidly and heavily. I'm dog sitting so

Customer Question

She's breathing very rapidly and heavily. I'm dog sitting so I don't know how normal it is with some activity but she's a very overweight pug.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoe I think she's about 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe I?
Customer: Just that she seems to have labored breathing much of the time but it has been several minutes now and she seems anxious
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Please assess Zoe's respiratory rate while she's asleep or at rest. If she's taking more than 30 breaths per minute, she's likely to be in trouble. Please let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's more than that but seems to be slowing. She's calming down a bit. What should I do?

If such a rate continued, Zoe would end up hyperthermic and exhausted. Advanced cardiopulmonary disorders such as congestive heart failure and sterile chronic bronchitis would be important differential diagnoses. You would have little choice but to bring her to an on-call vet for a thorough physical exam including X-rays of her chest. This isn't something you could manage at home. Please continue our conversation if you wish.