Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Naproxen 500 mggave my dog naproxen 500 mg by mistake. What

Customer Question

naproxen 500 mggave my dog naproxen 500 mg by mistake. What are side affects
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does she weigh?

2- How long has it been since you gave her naproxen?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
27# 6 hours no

1- Is she currently showing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is she in any danger

Friend, naproxen is very easily toxic to dogs. Dosages at or above 10-25mg/kg dogs can develop gastrointestinal ulceration and acute kidney failure. In this case, based on weight your dog took a dose of 42mg/kg; at this dose your dog could develop ulceration of the gastrointestinal tract and kidney failure. Unfortunately there is not much you can do at home. I would strongly recommend taking her to the nearest ER veterinarian for supportive care (IV fluids, activated charcoal, etc.). Do not wait until symptoms (vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, etc.) develop; treating before symptoms develop will have a better prognosis. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.