Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

I have just purchased 2 little puppies this weekend. an 8

Customer Question

HI PEARL . I have just purchased 2 little puppies this weekend . an 8 week old maltese , who seems 100 % Hhealthy . He arrived on Friday . Today we had the arrival of an 9 week old westiepoodle , who seems happy in herself but has a very distended tummy . she has passed a large stool already and lots of drinking and appitite . the breeder has given her a pill for worms . Im a bit worried . Any advice Please ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: seems a bit itchy , but no sign of fleas . thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

So it wounds like the 9 week old puppy you purchased has a distended tummy, but is otherwise doing okay right? Good appetite and no vomiting or diarrhea?

Puppies can get a distended abdomen from a few causes. The most common is worms. It sounds like the breeder gave a dewormer, but it might take more than one deworming to get rid of parasites. It is also possible that the dewormer she used was not appropriate for the type of worms that he has. Are you going to take him to a veterinarian for a health check? If you do they will recommend a dewormer and a fecal evaluation to make sure they are using the right dewormer for your puppy. They can also get a distended abdomen from over eating or from fluid in their abdomen due to malnutrition. If he is eating and passing stool normally these things are less likely.

As long as he is not acting sick or painful then I would just let him drink as much as he wants, feed him small meals several times a day rather than large meals twice a day. And take him to a veterinarian for a fecal when you can. If he is feeling sick then I would be more worried.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that helps. I have a feeling she has just over eaten , allthough the tummy looks too distended for that . I didnt notice any worms- thin white threads in the stool . shes drinking a lot and seems well in herself . playing . she has now fallen fast asleep . i will get her checked out tomorrow though . Thanks for being on hand . Kind regards Sarah

If you thing she has over eaten then the small meals will help... it will give her more time to digest food an it won't swell in her stomach so much.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will do . many thanks again