Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Are female chihuahua born Oct. 16,2015 is bleeding from what

Customer Question

are female chihuahua born Oct. 16,2015 is bleeding from what looks to be a swollen anus.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry your dog has what sounds like some gi upset today. I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon) and you have a little dog that can decline quite rapidly with this issue. This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope your Chi is feeling a bit better...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!