Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 9 month pug puppy was fine yesterday and woke up today

Customer Question

My 9 month pug puppy was fine yesterday and woke up today lethargic and only wants to sleep
Ate a smart bone yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry that Penny is not feeling well today, is there any vomiting or diarrhea? Does she have an appetite?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No and no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She isn't in distress

Is there any nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, gurgling stomach) or changes in water intake/ urination?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's not walking and none of the above except licking the air once

Are her gums nice and pink and moist? Just to confirm she has no appetite today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's had all her shots
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her gums look pink and black and no appetite

Thank you for the additional information, is she seeming too weak to walk, walking hunched or stiff gaited, or tail tucked when she does try to walk?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Stands and is not sure footed
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not hunched

The bone definitely may have upset her stomach, they can have sharp edges and cause an obstruction or even damage to the intestinal tract as it attempts to pass the bone so there are a few precautions we can take today but if there is no change, she does begin to have vomiting (especially vomiting with blood), blood in her stool, the lethargy is progressive, or her abdomen becomes swollen then please consider a veterinary er today

It sounds like we may be more concerned with her back causing her issues from your description however as Pugs are often plagued with this issue but with her age and breed I always worry about encephalopathy as well. Are her pupils responsive to light shined in her eyes? Is there a head tilt? Does she seem to stare off or have a tremor?

Without being able to examine her I need your assistance in guiding me what her symptoms are in order to hone in on the urgency of a veterinary exam. It is possible the bone is causing some gi upset and she is uncomfortable standing but I cannot rule out neurologic issues without a full neurologic exam so hoping to gather information from you to help Penny feel better soon...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you

I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman