Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

He threw up this morning and now acts like he is hurting,

Customer Question

He threw up this morning and now acts like he is hurting, won't lay down or move around much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He was fine earlier, woke up went outside, went to bathroom and drank a bunch or of water, the. Ate some food. He came to our bed and laid down for about 2hours then got sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

That is a red flag for me. When a pet vomits, that most certainly suggests there is gastritis present. But, sometimes, a pet will vomit due to pancreatitis. When the pancreas is inflamed this can cause quite serious abdominal pain. So, even if Gizmo has only vomited once or twice, I do strongly recommend a vet visit, today, for immediate supportive care.

Even if no pancreatitis, we also cannot rule-out a problem like foreign body ingestion or some other dietary indiscretion.

To help settle the stomach, you can give a 1/2 tablet of a over-the-counter Pepcid A.C. 10mg regular strength antacid, but NOT as a replacement for a vet visit.

Pancreatitis can be tested for with a blood test. If there are any issues identified on examination or he is really painful in the belly, some abdominal x-rays may also be suggested.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just gave him fresh water with pedialyte , half and half, he drank well. Stomach is bloated
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 months ago.

If there is any visible distension of the stomach/belly, I recommend immediate veterinary examination.

Even if drinking well and no vomiting, the stomach bloat is a concern.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 months ago.

Hope all is going okay?