Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

A large fatty tumor ruptured on our Black Lab yesterday. I

Customer Question

A large fatty tumor ruptured on our Black Lab yesterday. I am concerned because it is near his anus. How can we prevent infection?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also it has not fully drained.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hanging near his rectum
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

You can clean the outside of it with hydrogen peroxide or very dilute betadine (dilute the dark brown liquid to a very light brown tea color with warm water before cleaning).

Also, you really need to get in to the vet for antibiotics. Very important.

Otherwise, other than topical neosporin or other triple antibiotic, not much else can be done, other than surgery to help debulk the ruptured fatty tumor.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?