Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 8 you lab retriever has vomited and gagged multiple times

Customer Question

My 8 you lab retriever has vomited and gagged multiple times overnight. The vomit is dark coffee colored no "grounds". Should I withhold food and watch...? We live in a small town and our vet is not in. I left a message but haven't heard back yet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of but did get unseen exercise on a country road yesterday and loves to run.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tasha is almost 8 years old and looks like a black retriever but acts like a border collie. (Rescued dog at 5 -6 months)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tasha?
Customer: Anxious about thunder ( we have some this am)but never had this before. Rabies shot 1 week ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.

I am very concerned about Tasha. That dark coffee color could suggest blood in the vomit, and that would indicate she has stomach ulceration present. Also, with repeat vomiting, at this age and for this breed, I cannot rule-out more serious complication like stomach bloat or torsion (when the stomach twists on itself).
Yes, I would withhold food for 8 to 12 hours.

You can give a tablet of maximum strength 20mg Pepcid A.C. antacid to try and help settle the stomach. I strongly advise getting in to any vet as soon as possible.