Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has been diagnosed with a enlarged heart. She will e 14

Customer Question

She has been diagnosed with a enlarged heart. She will e 14 Bichon poo breed now she is having seizures and pooping a little when she does they are becoming more frequent...is it time to put her down?On meds for her heart problem could meds have anything to do with it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bailey?
Customer: no just that she has enlarged heart
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bailey. Her heart meds shouldn't be incriminated for seizure activity. Instead, brain tumor (the most common cause of seizures at 6 years of age or older) or extracranial (outside the skull) disorders such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys can result in seizures. Bailey's vet can perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests looking for an extracranial disorder but MRI is necessary for investigating Bailey's brain - not something I would consider at her age and with her prognosis. To answer you directly, yes, euthanasia might well be a kindness at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.