Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has an ear infection. When we visited the vet 2 weeks

Customer Question

My dog has an ear infection. When we visited the vet 2 weeks ago he had a yeast test done. It canme back the he had mild yeast in his ears. They gave me ear drops to use, without much success. This cost me $158. I have called repeated timesto get an antibiotic to help fight this infection.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Repeated can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Repeated?
Customer: They told me that I need to come back in.....well I can not afford this. My question to you is : My black lab weighs 88 lbs. I have doxycycline hyclate 100 mg tablets that I have been treated for lyme disease with. Now I am prescribed another but have around 25 tablets left over. How much do I give my dog to help treat his ear infection. Please don't tell me I need to go back to the vet because I CAN NOT afford it. PLEASE help. Thank you so so much!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long doe it usually take to receive an answer from your on call vet expert?
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

HI there, Im sorry to hear about your dog's ear infection and problems. I hope I can help. Unfortunately, doxycycline is not an appropriate antibiotic for the types of bacteria that typically cause ear infections and if the infection is in the outer ear (the ear canal and part you can see) then a systemic antibiotic alone may not help. Topical antibiotics are better for these types of infections. Can you recall if there was any mention of a ruptured ear drum? This can change what is recommended but there mare some things you can do at home if the ear drum is not ruptured to make your dog feel better. Can you tell me what medication your doctor prescribed and if an ear cleaner was sent home?