Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog is vomiting and has diarrhea s poop was bloody

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting and has diarrhea his poop was bloody yesterday and he won't eat but he will still drink water but not a lot. Is there anything I can do? I can't afford an emergency vet right now.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He ate a pack of raw chicken breast that I was thawing on the counter I didn't notice it was gone until he already got to it and ate it
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cosmo, and he is 8 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cuomo,?
Customer: I noticed since this started he is shedding a lot more and he is a Weimaraner and they are not known to shed a lot
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an update on how Cosmo is doing?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How long has it been since he ate the chicken breast? Any bones?

4- How long has this been going on?

5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

6- How long since the last time he vomited?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cosmo seems to be doing ok. He slept through the the whole night. I don't know exactly how much he weighs but I want to say around 45- 50 lbs. he ate the chicken 2 days ago. And no bones. It's been going on for two days now. And the last time he vomited was last night

Friend, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a young dog like Cosmo common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause he will need to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination and fecal analysis as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.

2- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotdine) 10mg every 12 hours. You can buy pepcid ac over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- Offer him a bland diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter