Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Blackberry is doing better as far as eating etc. He still

Customer Question

Hello, Blackberry is doing better as far as eating etc. He still has a terrible hack. He just finished his bout of antibiotics and is on the Fluconazole . I have been reading up on valley fever and I noticed that ketoconazole was on the list to treat for VF. Blackberry was on 200mg 1 x per day for about two years with Atopica for allergies. Wouldn't that have prevented him from getting VF? Hope you are doing well and you don't have to answer until tomorrow. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Ketoconazole is effective against VF at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/lb every 12 hours. 200 mg once daily wouldn't have done the trick.