PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

While transitioning my 12 yr lab shepherd dog to a new food

Customer Question

While transitioning my 12 yr lab shepherd dog to a new food for the past 2 weeks,he got into the new 35 # ***** of dog food today and ate a good 4# ***** more of the new dog food. He was having some issues during transition, pooping more, unable to control when he pooped so I stopped increasing. Now that he's eaten so much of the new stuff. I started fasting him and keeping plenty of fresh water out for him but Now what, what can I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

You've done the right thing by fasting and offering water. I would also go ahead and start him on some canned pumpkin at 1tbsp per 10 pounds per meal and go right back to the same percentage you were using. This will continue the transition you were doing and will also help firm any diarrhea that may occur from the ingestion. If needed, switch him off of the food entirely and on to boiled chicken and rice for a few days to get his bowels back in order before attempting the transition again.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vegas. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy